All professional childminders should hold appropriate public liability insurance to cover them in their work with children. I
have PACEY's insurance policy, underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc, which has been specially designed for childminders by people who understand childminding. Each year, PACEY
and the insurers look at all the claims that have been made and the questions that members have asked about their insurance cover. Then, if it's possible, the insurance is amended to make sure it
meets members' needs. The policy covers things such as:
- Accidental injury (including death) of any person in the care of the Insured Childcarer (including costs and expenses incurred in defending any matter forming such claim)
- Accidental loss or damage caused to a third party or the property of the third party in the course of their childcare activities.
- Nuisance or trespass.
- Accidental injury caused by the incorrect application of first-aid treatment.
- Administering medication/treatment (provided written parental permission has been obtained).
- Children being left in the care of another adult during an emergency.
- Damage to property including childminded children's property. Subject to an excess £50.00 in respect of childminded children's property.
- Exhibitions, crèches, meetings and outings run for, and on behalf of, Registered Childminders.
- Registered Childminders operating from a British Armed Forces base outside the UK.
- Accompanying parents on holiday abroad.